Sunday, May 6, 2012

First Impressions from the 'Real World'


Perhaps a necessary preamble: After completing 1st year law, I have just begun my first ‘law job’, working as a legal research assistant in the north.

Going to school and studying ‘the law’, I am just another student. I can wear what I like, talk how I wish, slouch if I choose, and be late if I want. My experience in the ‘real law world’ ... I’d say started 5 days ago when I took the duct tape off my pants and reluctantly handed them over to the seamstress. It was a big day. That same day I bought two pairs of shoes that reminded me of my mom. I just did it, but tried not to think about it too much.  ‘Flats’ now means more than the sad state of past bike tires. Weird.
A few days later, I actually went to work. The fact that I was in ‘that world’ hit me when I first sat back at my desk, considered the assignment I had been given, and realized I had absolutely no clue what I was supposed to be doing. Next, I was invited into the office of a senior lawyer, who sat me down and proceeded to ask me, straight up: ‘tell me what you know about Aboriginal law’’. I tried not to panic as he sat back expectantly in his chair and my face flushed uncontrollably. I actually wondered if it was actually happening.  My constitutional law classmates might be able to imagine the heat of my cheeks. 
What I seem to find most reflective of this world I have entered (keep in mind, I’ve only been working for 2 days) is my first lunch. My principal showed up at my office door, announced that we were going for lunch, and, without asking for any input from me or explaining anything to do with ‘lunch’, led me out the building, around the corner, and to a coffee shop. When we moved out of line to put down our jackets, she moaned that we hadn’t been attentive to the 3 people who slid in line before us. I’ve never felt such pressure to know exactly what I wanted. Nor have I ever felt such pressure to hustle the people preparing it to go faster, quick, hand over that soup! Lunch proceeded, quickly, with informal questions fired off at an impressively formal pace. The ‘friendship’ question list was getting ticked quickly … and then the phone rang, and we had to return. It was over. Quick! Impatiently ask for take away containers! And then we were walking back to the building, 15 minutes after we left it, with take away soup tucked under my arm in a container I’ve otherwise sworn against … in my business pants …. in my blazer … in my flats. How lawyerly. But what’s funny is that I completely respect my principal. She is busy, important, has kids, a demanding practice. She was doing what she was supposed to do, and trying to make it relaxed and enjoyable. Fail. But she was genuinely trying. So do I groan critically and analyze the pace at which this suited lunch progressed? Or do I take it light heartedly as just a humorous demonstration of what my black flats have walked me into? Really, it was one lunch, I shouldn’t extrapolate from it a generalization of lawyers or lunches or lifestyles, but my, I couldn’t help a few giggles at how ridiculous it seemed. How right on the mark of social stereotyping we were.
I brought work home with me this weekend. Ha! My first weekend, after 2 days of work! Having no idea what you’re doing is a good incentive to sacrifice a bit of free weekend to spare Monday morning cluelessness. Also, I’m still in student mode … having two full days of no homework or readings is already making me feel lazy and unproductive. Might as well review some case law eh … oh my: is it happening already? Thank the lordy I’m in birks … and my bike is just out the window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment